Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly. (Psalm 40:10)

Today's reflection is by Thea Keith-Lucas, Episcopal Chaplain at MIT

Towards the end of college, I reconnected with my faith in Jesus and started wearing a cross necklace every day. I quickly discovered that the cross acted as a magnet for panhandlers on the subway. It had the opposite effect on many of my college friends. A classmate questioned my objectivity towards the Bible. A science major asked me how I could possibly be against evolution. One guy assumed that I was intent on a courtship towards marriage, which made it very awkward when I asked him out on a date.

Many of us began Lent with crosses of ash on our foreheads. Some of us have explained to a friend that we can’t share a dessert or some other experience because of a Lenten fast. Many of us also joined in Palm Sunday processions that took our congregations outside the doors of the church. Lent seems quiet and inward, but it can also be a time when our faith becomes visible in new ways.

We have three more reflections coming in this series. Before we turn to the great holy days of Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday, I want to thank you for sharing this Lenten journey with us. I hope this has been a time for each of us discover the truth within us and share it with the world. May God give us the grace to move through the awkward moments towards the freedom and joy of living with integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment