Thursday, March 20, 2014

One who gives an honest answer gives a kiss on the lips. (Proverbs 24:26)

Today's reflection is by
Thea Keith-Lucas, Episcopal Chaplain at MIT


When I was in high school, I knew a family called the Osmonds. Maybe it was just sharing a name with Ozzie and Harriet, but they seemed to feel a lot of pressure to be the perfect family. One day their son turned to me and said, “You’re really weird. You have all these problems, and you just tell people about them.”

I never found out what his family wasn’t telling. Over at their house, you could feel the anger rumbling underneath the surface, a subterranean tremor so strong that you almost expected the picture frames to shift on the walls and the china to start rattling in its cabinets.

Like most teenagers, I thought most of what my parents did was completely wrong. But that conversation with the Osmond boy was one of many times when I learned to appreciate their honesty. They admitted their mistakes, explained their choices as best they could, and taught me to try to face the world as it actually is.

Let us give thanks to God for the truth-tellers in our lives, the ordinary prophets who are quietly and bravely living lives of integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment