Monday, March 31, 2014

I know your works—your love, faith, service, and patient endurance. (Revelation 2:19a )



Today's reflection is by 
Thea Keith-Lucas, Episcopal Chaplain at MIT

I keep shifting our copy of Boston Magazine from room to room without reading it. The cover story is a guide to this year’s marathon, and I don’t want to have to think about marathons. Like everyone around me, I was shaken by last year: a bombing in the heart of my city, an officer killed guarding my campus, the eerie quiet of sheltering in place.

It was also a hard time for a more personal reason, one that seems ridiculous compared to the experiences of those who lost a loved one or who were injured or who have to live with the memories of witnessing the explos
ion first-hand. My problem was just that I had no idea what to do.

Many kind people reached out to me with prayers and support. Some told me how glad they were that I was there to help bring healing to MIT. I thanked them, feeling like a fraud. Three months into the job, I knew a few dozen people by name, and none very well. Some healer.

It helps to remember that God knows me fully, in my strengths and in my limitations. My human eyes see things so starkly: Either I can work miracles or I can do nothing worthwhile. God teaches me to see things more clearly and more gently. To God, I can say: You know I don’t have much to work with here, but I’ll try my best. I trust you to take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment