Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Does God not see my ways, and number all my steps? If I have walked with falsehood and my foot has hurried to deceit— let me be weighed in a just balance, and let God know my integrity! (Job 31:4-6)

Today's reflection is by
Teresa Baker Peters
Alumna of the Lutheran Episcopal Ministry at MIT


I participated in the interdenominational Ash Wednesday service at Stanford this year.  At the beginning of the service everyone was given a paper and pencil and asked to write down a sin or need for healing.  Then everyone processed to the front of the church and put their paper in a bowl of fire to burn as a symbol of asking God for help.  I've been reading a book, "The New Jim Crow", and caught an article or two with comments from speakers at Martin Luther King Jr. Day gatherings, and found a clear prayer in my head for help with the injustice of the prison system in the US and help for the many who are incarcerated and burdened by past incarceration.

I feel bewildered about what to do, but was glad when I saw an article about a bill going through congress that would reduce the length of minimum prison sentences for drug crimes.  It's a very small step, but it's a step. I'll keep praying for justice and help.  I am glad God numbers our steps and I hope to act with integrity even in the things I am implicitly part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment